This is a nice day trip starting in Carizozo and traveling down to Alamogordo then west to White Sands National Monument.
You return thorough Alamogordo again and then Tularosa. At this point you'll turn east through the beautiful mountain towns of Mescalero, Ruidoso, Sierra Vista and Capitan.
I took this trip on July 4 and encountered some weather and was glad I brought my rain gear.
View White Sands Ride in a larger map
1. From the town of Carizozo New Mexico Head South on US 54 to Tularosa 2. Stay on US 54/70 to Alamogordo.
3. Turn right onto Charlie Lee Memorial Relief Route.
4. Merge onto US-70 W/S White Sands Blvd via the ramp to Las Cruces
Continue to follow US-70 W.
5. Turn right onto Dunes Dr. (Restricted usage road)
6. Turn left onto US-70 E
7. Turn right onto US-54 W (signs for El Paso)
8. Take the 1st left onto Charlie Lee Memorial Relief Route
9. Turn left onto US-54 E/US-70 E/N White Sands Blvd Continue to follow US-54 E/US-70 E
10. Turn right onto Higuera Ave
11. Take the 3rd left onto 1st St
12. Turn right onto US-70 E/Central AveContinue to follow US-70 E
13. Turn left onto Mescalero Trail
Total Miles: 83.4
Click Play Button In Center Of Image To Watch Video
Return To New Mexico Road Trips
Return To Road Trip Bikers